Software Engineer, Backend (US App)
We are The Selling App. The fast and easy way to sell or buy almost anything, from fashion to toys, sporting goods to electronics, jewelry to shoes. Launched in 2013, Mercari quickly became the #1 shopping app in Japan. Now we’re on a global mission to build a future where people everywhere feel empowered to sell the things they don’t use, a future where all useful things are used. And with a fast-growing user base in the U.S. of over 35 million downloads, we are on our way to doing just that.
We are aggressively growing our Backend team to develop leading-edge micro-services.
You will be an employee of Mercari Japan and working in our Tokyo office, primarily for the US version of Mercari. If you are looking for a job opportunity in the United States, please apply to careers of Mercari US.
- Coding in Go or/and PHP.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve backend software for our product.
- Design architecture of microservices running on Kubernetes.
- Work with Product Managers and Designers for design and specification of our product.
- Collaborate with iOS and Android engineers to develop new features on our product.
- Collaborate with QA Engineers to test and deliver the feature with high-quality and high-speed.
- Solve complex performance problems and architectural challenges.
- Write and maintain technical documentation.
- Manage own project requirements, deadlines and qualities.
- 3+ years of programming experience.
- Professional engineering experience with consumer applications.
- Excellent knowledge of data structures and algorithms.
- Experience with developing complex software systems scaling to millions of users with production quality deployment, monitoring, and reliability.
- Knowledge of software testing and ability to write testable code and proper tests.
- An insatiable desire and ability to learn with a positive attitude.
- Ability to collaborate with team members including Product Managers, Data Scientists, Designer, Engineers, and Test Engineers to solve complex business problems.
- Experience with Go or PHP.
- Proficient computer science background such as a bachelor's, master's, or Ph.D. degree.
- Experience designing, developing, and managing microservices.
- Strong knowledge of container and orchestration tech like Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience working on cloud infrastructures like GCP or AWS.
- Managing or experience of leading teams
- Experience with interdepartmental coordination
- Experience mentoring engineers
- Experience hiring engineers (screening applications, interviewing, direct recruiting, hosting events, etc.)
Please provide your English resume when you apply.
Probationary Period: 3 months (salary same as above)
・Fixed working hours 10:00-19:00
Flex time (core hours 12:00-16:00, 60 minute lunch)
・Annual salary, paid monthly
・Based on your experience, skills and potential
・Reviewed twice a year
・5-day work week (Sat/Sun off)
・National holidays, paid time off, summer/New Year's vacation, congratulatory leave, compassionate leave
・Free drinks available at the office
・Employee stock ownership plan
・Full transportation coverage
・Dual screen if needed
・New Employee Benefits at Mercari「mercibox」