QA Engineer (US App)
We are The Selling App. The fast and easy way to sell or buy almost anything, from fashion to toys, sporting goods to electronics, jewelry to shoes. Launched in 2013, Mercari quickly became the #1 shopping app in Japan. Now we’re on a global mission to build a future where people everywhere feel empowered to sell the things they don’t use, a future where all useful things are used. And with a fast-growing user base in the U.S. of over 35 million downloads, we are on our way to doing just that.
We are growing our [email protected] QA team to ensure that we deliver the best marketplace in the United States for buyers and sellers on Android, iOS, and the web.
The ideal candidate has an exhibited history of excellent communication skills, superb attention to detail, and a passion for improving the user experience. The candidate will take responsibility for reviewing feature specifications and implementation details to ensure that bugs are prevented before they’re created, authoring and executing test plans across multiple platforms, and acting as the ultimate advocate for the customer by closely monitoring crash reports and providing usability feedback to our Product and Engineering teams.
▼Recent Engineering Achievements:
- We built a data pipeline to analyze the status, weight, and cost of every item shipped on Mercari, and a machine learning model to suggest the best shipping options for sellers. This reduced shipping mistakes by over half.
- At Go Bold Day (internal hackathon), we created instant listings where you can list an item with full details by just taking one picture.
- We also built a price scanner where you can get an estimate an item's price by pointing your phone's camera at it.
▼What You’ll Do:
- Author and execute test plans across multiple platforms (Android, iOS, web)
- Coordinate the execution of regular test runs between fellow QA Engineers
- Perform manual regression, integration, and acceptance testing on both an ad-hoc and scheduled basis
- Perform exploratory, unstructured testing as time allows
- Work closely with the engineering team to expand coverage of automated unit testing
- Report issues with reproducible steps, screenshots, and relevant information
- Reproduce and troubleshoot customer issues
- Escalate top issues
- Collaborate with teammates to refine processes and test plans
- Business-level English proficiency; conversational-level Japanese preferred
- 3+ years in a QA or CS role with direct interaction with engineering
- Solid understanding of project management and QA methodologies
- Working knowledge of issue tracking and test management software (e.g. Jira, Zephyr, TestRail, etc.)
- Experience with Android or iOS and respective interface standards
- Experience with buying and selling on a user-driven marketplace
- Analytical mind and problem-solving aptitude
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to document and troubleshoot issues
- Excellent communication skills
- Exacting attention to detail
- Passion for improving user experience
- Issue tracking: Jira
- Test case management: TestRail
- Code management: Github
- Build & Deployment: CircleCI, Fabric
- Communication: Slack
Please provide English resume when you apply.
Probationary Period: 3 months (salary same as above)
・Fixed working hours 10:00-19:00
Flex time (core hours 12:00-16:00, 60 minute lunch)
・Annual salary, paid monthly
・Based on your experience, skills and potential
・Reviewed twice a year
・5-day work week (Sat/Sun off)
・National holidays, paid time off, summer/New Year's vacation, congratulatory leave, compassionate leave
・Employee stock ownership plan
・Full transportation coverage
・Dual screen if needed
・New Employee Benefits at Mercari「mercibox」
・Mercari Engineering Blog