Engineering Manager, Backend (US App)
We are The Selling App. The fast and easy way to sell or buy almost anything, from fashion to toys, sporting goods to electronics, jewelry to shoes.
Launched in 2013, Mercari quickly became the #1 shopping app in Japan. Now we’re on a global mission to build a future where people everywhere feel empowered to sell the things they don’t use, a future where all useful things are used. And with a fast-growing user base in the U.S. and over 35 million downloads, we are on our way to doing just that.
We are aggressively growing our backend engineering team to develop leading-edge microservices and enable the next stage of growth for our US marketplace. We are placing a heavy emphasis on hiring and training new members while also creating an environment that allows engineers to work to the best of their ability. To make this possible, we need highly skilled engineering managers to work with us.
You will be an employee of Mercari Japan and working in our Tokyo office, primarily for the US version of Mercari. If you are looking for job opportunities in the United States, please apply to careers directly from careers of Mercari US.
Mercari is in the process of strengthening our engineering organization as part of our efforts to become a world-class tech company.
With a strong team of engineering managers and engineers, we aim to become a tech company that can solve society’s problems using technology and work towards Mercari’s mission of creating value in a global marketplace where anyone can buy and sell.
▼Our Values (Go Bold, All for One, Be Professional)
The path to creating a leading global marketplace is not without challenges. In order to create new and innovative solutions, all members must take advantage of their unique skill sets and have a sense of responsibility and ownership for their work. In order to ensure our success in creating the best product possible, all members must embody our three values: Go Bold, All for One, and Be Professional.
- Backend software development experience
- Experience both managing and mentoring engineers
- Experience with interdepartmental coordination
- Experience hiring engineers. For example, screening applications, interviewing, direct recruiting, and hosting events.
- Business-level English, both written and verbal
- Experience designing the architecture for a system with millions of users per day
- Experience leading technical decisions for large engineering teams
- Experience designing and maintaining backend systems with a microservice-based architecture
- Business-level Japanese, both written and verbal
▼Our Ideal Candidate
- Can understand project priorities and apply them to team assignments
- Possesses extensive technological expertise and a desire to learn new technologies
- Can understand individual engineers’ motivations and encourage their personal and career growth along with the business’s growth
- Possesses strong communication abilities for solving organizational problems
- Can take responsibility for engineer hiring and training, and possesses a long-term vision for the team’s growth
Probationary Period: 3 months (salary same as above)
・Fixed working hours 10:00-19:00
Flex time (core hours 12:00-16:00, 60 minute lunch)
・Annual salary, paid monthly
・Based on your experience, skills and potential
・Reviewed twice a year
・5-day work week (Sat/Sun off)
・National holidays, paid time off, summer/New Year's vacation, congratulatory leave, compassionate leave
・Free drinks available at the office
・Employee stock ownership plan
・Full transportation coverage
・Dual screen if needed
・New Employee Benefits at Mercari「mercibox」
・Mercari Engineering Blog